For Immediate Release
January 21, 2022
EMILYs List Candidates Announce Record-Breaking Fundraising at the End of 2021
“Early money is like yeast: it makes the dough rise. Last quarter EMILYs List-backed candidates raised millions of dollars, proving yet again that our women can outraise their opponents. So far, six of our candidates on both the federal and state and local level raised over $1 million, and two more have raised half a million dollars or more. It is clear people are mobilized by Democratic pro-choice women who do the work to protect and better their communities.”
- Gov. Laura Kelly (KS), who is running for reelection, raised over $2 million.
- Gov. Janet Mills (ME) raised over $1.6 million in her campaign for reelection.
- Cheri Beasley, EMILYs List-endorsed candidate for U.S. Senate in North Carolina raised over $2.1 million.
- Sen. Catherine Cortez Masto raised over $3.3 million in her campaign for reelection in Nevada.
- Rep. Angie Craig (MN-02) raised over $875,000 in her campaign for reelection.
- Rep. Karen Bass, who is running for mayor of Los Angeles, raised almost $2 million for her mayoral bid.
- Mayor Muriel Bowser (DC) is running for reelection and has raised over $500,000.
- Gov. Kathy Hochul, running for governor in New York, has raised $21.6 million in the five months since taking office.
EMILYs List, the nation’s largest resource for women in politics, has raised over $700 million to elect Democratic pro-choice women candidates. With a grassroots community of over five million members, EMILY's List helps Democratic women win competitive campaigns – across the country and up and down the ballot – by recruiting and training candidates, supporting and helping build strong campaigns, researching the issues that impact women and families, running nearly $50 million in independent expenditures in the last cycle alone, and turning out women voters and voters of color to the polls. Since our founding in 1985, we have helped elect the country's first woman as vice president, 159 women to the House, 26 to the Senate, 16 governors, and more than 1,300 women to state and local office. More than 40% of the candidates EMILYs List has helped elect to Congress have been women of color. After the 2016 election, more than 60,000 women reached out to EMILY's List about running for office laying the groundwork for the next decade of candidates for local, state, and national offices. In our effort to elect more women in offices across the country, we have created our Run to Win program, expanded our training program, including a Training Center online, and trained thousands of women.