For Immediate Release
Tommy Thompson is Wrong for Wisconsin Women and Families
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Tonight, Wisconsin Republicans nominated Tommy Thompson to face U.S. Senate candidate Tammy Baldwin in November’s general election.
“Tommy Thompson was a partner at Washington lobbying firm who will make it his mission to dismantle critical services for seniors and dramatically reduce women’s access to basic healthcare,” said Stephanie Schriock, President of EMILY’s List. “Tammy Baldwin is the only candidate who is committed to expanding opportunities for women and families instead of pushing an extreme, right-wing social agenda. This November, the choice for Wisconsin voters couldn’t be clearer. Thompson will join Washington Republicans in rewarding companies that outsource jobs and protecting millionaires at the expense of the middle class. Tammy is a champion for women and families – with the priorities Wisconsin needs in a senator.”
- Tommy Thompson’s positions are extreme across the board:
- Thompson signed legislation criminalizing safe abortion procedures and opposes federal funding for family planning.
- Thompson promised to pass the Ryan Plan if elected to the Senate – a plan which would cut vital services for women, children, and seniors, and end Medicare as we know it.
- Thompson would repeal President Obama’s Affordable Care Act, which covers critical preventative healthcare services like mammograms and contraception for women, and ensures that all patients, including children, aren’t denied coverage because of a pre-existing condition.
- Thompson joined DC Mega Lobbying Firm Akin Gump, which raked in millions from trying to influence the federal government on behalf of clients like the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, Bain Capital, and oil and gas companies
EMILY’s List’s independent expenditure group, WOMEN VOTE!, has already begun educating voters about Thompson’s record. WOMEN VOTE! went up with its first ad in Wisconsin on behalf of Tammy Baldwin in mid-July. The $400,000, two-week ad buy was up on broadcast TV in the Milwaukee, Green Bay and Wausau media markets from July 10th through July 22nd. The ad framed Republican opponents Tommy Thompson and Eric Hovde as D.C. insiders who will sell the state out to special interests and includes real people praising Baldwin for caring about Wisconsin families and looking out for their interests.
Accompanying the ad was a robust website, www.wisconsinwomenvote.org, which explains what’s at stake in this important senate race. The buy also included a significant online component targeting women statewide showing the 30-second ad in pre-roll, as well as display ads and Facebook ads.
The week before the primary, WOMEN VOTE! released our second ad with a significant statewide online buy, “DC vs. DC,” showing Tommy Thompson and Eric Hovde fighting over who’s the bigger DC insider.
Launched in 1995, the historic EMILY's List WOMEN VOTE! project combines polling and research, advanced information technology, sophisticated message testing, and precinct-by-precinct field work to mobilize millions of women voters across the country. EMILY's List designed WOMEN VOTE! to build a progressive political base that will elect more Democrats, especially women, by helping to increase turnout among women voters year after year.
In the 2009-2010 cycle, EMILY's List raised more than $38.5 million to support its mission of recruiting and supporting women candidates, helping them build strong campaigns, and mobilizing women voters to turn out and vote. With a community of more than 1,500,000 members across the country, EMILY's List is one of the largest political action committees in the nation. Since its founding in 1985, EMILY's List has worked to elect 87 pro-choice, Democratic women to the U.S. House, 16 to the U.S. Senate, nine governors, and hundreds of women to the state legislatures, state constitutional offices, and other key local offices. In the 2009-2010 cycle, EMILY's List had the largest number of members and donors in our 27 year history.