Top 5 Republicans we want to beat
This November, EMILY's List women are facing far-right Republicans and Tea Party candidates who have dangerous views on women’s health, Obamacare, the Violence Against Women Act, fair pay for women and so much more. But our candidates know what’s best for women and families and will stand up against right-wing extremists. We’ve already told you a lot about our Democratic women, but we wanted to introduce you to our current Top 5 list of abhorrent Republicans to beat.
5 Worst Republicans to Defeat
- Scott Brown: Scott Brown rode the Tea Party Express all the way to Washington in 2010. Funded by the Koch Brothers, Brown continues on his path of destruction by co-sponsoring bills like the Blunt/Brown legislation that would allow employers to make health decisions for their female employees. Reclaiming Scott Brown’s Senate seat is crucial in stopping the War Against Women.
- Joe Walsh: A self-proclaimed “crazy Tea Party freshman,” Walsh is no friend to women. Walsh owed over $100,000 in unpaid child support, and attacked his opponent, Tammy Duckworth’s, military service. Walsh says the birth control debate is “not about women.” He has voted to repeal Obamacare and voted to block the reauthorization of the Violence Against Women Act.
- Steve King: A founding member of the Tea Party Caucus and Michele Bachmann’s partner in crime, King is the king of Tea Party extremes. He hailed Joseph McCarthy as “a hero for America” and refused to ‘concede’ that birth control prevents pregnancy. In Iowa’s 4th Congressional District, Iowans need someone in touch with reality and the issues facing hardworking Americans.
- Linda Lingle: This diehard Republican parading as a moderate recently launched her own 24-hour television network to spew her far-right agenda. With allies like Karl Rove and other big-money supporters, this race for Hawai'i's Senate seat is critical to fighting off the Republican War on Women and standing up for women and families in the Aloha State.
- Jim Renacci: He was recently endorsed by the Ohio Right to Life Society and considers himself one of March for Life’s “strongest supporters”. He failed to condemn Rush Limbaugh’s horrific anti-women speech, and voted for the Ryan Budget. Time and time again, Renacci proves that he will not stand up for women.
This wasn't an easy list to compile because we had so many awful Republicans to choose from, but as November fast approaches, the stakes are getting higher and higher. We’re working hard every day to make sure these Democratic women triumph in November, but now more than ever, we need you. Our candidates are out there fighting hard to take down this ‘worst of the worst’ in the Republican Party. Elizabeth Warren, Tammy Duckworth, Christie Vilsack, Mazie Hirono, and Betty Sutton will stand up to these far-right extremists and speak up for the issues that matter most for women and families.
What do you think of our list? Did we miss anyone? Tell us in the comments or on Twitter using the hashtag #SendThemHome.